World Cup Stadium
Most people go to World Cup Stadium in Seoul to watch soccer. A well-kept secret about the grounds surrounding the stadium is that there is a nice basketball court outside the stadium's west gate. The area wasn't designed for a basketball court; it appears to have been built as an afterthought. However, the games played there are solid. It is a good option if you're looking for a place to play basketball in Seoul.
The Scouting Report
Are you looking to pound the rock and then go and pound some drinks? Do you want to be ballin’ on the court and then one hour later be ballin’ in the club? Well, you have come to the right place. Waoo Park offers a fine basketball court that is literally within Hongdae.
Bricks. Yep. Bricks. It may not be traditional, but it works. All of a court's standard markings are painted on.
Hey, if the "Brickyard" nickname works for NASCAR and IRL, then why can't it work for basketball in Seoul?
- There are many nearby conveniences such as restrooms and convenience stores.
- The court is right next to a mountain. It is rather easy to find shade.
- There are "bleachers", or concrete benches, on one side of the court. They are perfect for either spectators or resting players.
- The surface is bricks. Not a con, per se, but strange nonetheless.
There is a convenience store near World Cup Stadium Station. If that doesn't do it, go inside the stadium. There is a foodcourt on the second floor between the north and east entrances.
Sports and Recreation Nearby
- Open Space
- Soccer (FC Seoul)
- World Cup Museum
- World Cup Stadium Park
Check out the World Cup Stadium photo album to see more pictures of the area.
How To Get There
Where: Seoul-si, Mapo-gu, Seongsan-2-dong
From Line 6 - World Cup Stadium Station (월드컵경기장역):
- Exit 2.
- Follow World Cup Stadium around to its west gate.
- The basketball court is between the stadium's west gate and the nearby mountain.